Skip to main content

Of the making of many lists. . .

So days eight and nine of Christmas pass with nary a mention. Well, alluding to the previous post about virtue, we did read about church fathers Basil (the Great) and Gregory of Nazianus last night--two manly men. Today we talked about singing Christmas carols. I bet most of you haven't heard any Christmas music in a week now--some probably think that is a good thing.

That makes for a good sequeway, I've published in the last few years a list of my top picks in movies, music, and books. Well, I haven't been as diligent about that this year--though this blog has picked up some of the slack. A few people have rattled their sabres to get me to put something out there, so here is something though it isn't much.

Movies: I didn't keep track of what I saw so I'm going from memory here--Ratatouille is the only one that's sticking. Auggh. . . I'm drawing a blank--perhaps that says something about the state of cinema--many distractions, no serious indwelling of story. Your suggestions? What is it about food films anyway? Babette's Feast, Big Night, and now Ratatouille, all deal with excellence, sacrifice, fidelity. Something to ponder.

Music: Again, no record kept. I already blogged about it, but The Arcade Fire's Neon Bible is probably the best album of the year for me (check the 9-12 entry). Nick Cave's side project of Grinderman was interesting, though not for everyone. Some older albums were purchased too--the aforementioned Mr. Cave's Tender Prey and Elvis Costello's Armed Forces were worthwhile. Of course, the year wouldn't be complete without purchasing something from the late Mr. Cash.
I suppose this shows me I need to keep track of things better--my wife tells me that for some reason.

Books: Ah, now here is where I kept a record. I've posted comments about many books that I've read (that were worthy of commenting about) previously here. The current books in my reading are all eminently quotable and when I get around to it, I'll say something about Schumacher's book. But the top two (fiction and non-fiction respectively) were Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany and Hart's The Doors of the Sea. Read my reviews. And read something for yourself. Make 2008 the year you read three more books than in 2007.

So what did you find worthwhile?

Addendum: Guster's latest Ganging Up on the Sun was a pleasant pop album.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Publishing Triumph 3.23

 This is the third time I've been published in Jesus the Imagination . It is, however, the first time a poem of mine has been published with this journal. I haven't finished reading my copy, but so far there have been some excellent essays. Get yourself a copy today!

Another Publishing Triumph!

So, the first of four poems has dropped. Point your critical browser to this URL for lots of good stuff at Ekstasis :  https://www.ekstasismagazine.com/poetry/2023/bird-is-the-word Constructive criticism welcome!

What I Read: 2023 Edition

  I know I failed to post this last year for what I read in 2022. So, here is what I read this past year. As always, these are listed in the order of reading and not any kind of ranking. The Shadow Lamp * Stephen R. Lawhead Book four in the Bright Empires series, continues with many of the same characters and a few new ones. The mystery of the Skin Map underscore a threat to the entire universe. The story is a bit pulpy and not Lawhead’s best (I’m speaking of the series as a whole), but still an enjoyable read for fans of Sci-fi and to a lesser extent, fantasy. Nature’s Best Hope: A New Approach to Conservation that Starts in your Yard * Douglas W. Tallamy This continues his ideas expressed in Bringing Nature Home . Essentially, if you want to “save the planet” (a phrase full of hubris) start with your yard and your neighborhood. If you’ve read about this stuff before, you won’t find any new insights, but it bears repeating. This is as good as any place to start for backyard ecology.