Skip to main content

Onward Consuming Soldiers. . .

Buy Nothing month in the Martin household has only about a week left. Here are my observations so far. 1) As predicted I found things I want to buy. The most pressing, however, was a small frying pan, as one of the ones we have is probably coated with teflon (cough--cancer!) and the handle has rotted off--if plastic can rot. I didn't buy a pan, but in another week or two I'm sure I will. I'd like a cast iron one, are those constructed anymore? And, yes, I'll recycle the old pan. I might be able to get $.02 for the metal. 2) I was at a library today doing research for a short paper for my class, Making Modern Science, and passed a Friends of the Library book sale. I thought, well, if I bought some books for my classroom at a deal, that wouldn't be breaking the spirit of the experiment. Then I further thought as I walked that the point is not necessarily to save money or find bargains, the point is to STOP BUYING STUFF. Even used stuff. Even stuff for the classroom.
All right. We've gone out to eat a few times, but that is really the only expense outside of necessities we've made. Maybe next time we'll cut out the restaurants.

Of course, Lent starts next week. Hmmm, what should I give up? Or take up? Maybe I can find a used hairshirt!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Cast Iron Cookware (made in US):
www.lodgemfg.com

Popular posts from this blog

Another Publishing Triumph 3.23

 This is the third time I've been published in Jesus the Imagination . It is, however, the first time a poem of mine has been published with this journal. I haven't finished reading my copy, but so far there have been some excellent essays. Get yourself a copy today!

Another Publishing Triumph!

So, the first of four poems has dropped. Point your critical browser to this URL for lots of good stuff at Ekstasis :  https://www.ekstasismagazine.com/poetry/2023/bird-is-the-word Constructive criticism welcome!

What I Read: 2023 Edition

  I know I failed to post this last year for what I read in 2022. So, here is what I read this past year. As always, these are listed in the order of reading and not any kind of ranking. The Shadow Lamp * Stephen R. Lawhead Book four in the Bright Empires series, continues with many of the same characters and a few new ones. The mystery of the Skin Map underscore a threat to the entire universe. The story is a bit pulpy and not Lawhead’s best (I’m speaking of the series as a whole), but still an enjoyable read for fans of Sci-fi and to a lesser extent, fantasy. Nature’s Best Hope: A New Approach to Conservation that Starts in your Yard * Douglas W. Tallamy This continues his ideas expressed in Bringing Nature Home . Essentially, if you want to “save the planet” (a phrase full of hubris) start with your yard and your neighborhood. If you’ve read about this stuff before, you won’t find any new insights, but it bears repeating. This is as good as any place to start for backyard ecology.