Skip to main content

H2Oh!


     What is it about water that draws us to it?  Obviously, there is our biological need, but I'm thinking beyond thirst and cellular replenishment.  I've heard that fire and flowing water are mesmerizing to humans like few other phenomena.  Think of how one stares into the dancing red and orange of a campfire or in a fireplace on a cold evening in midwinter.  Remember the breathy sound of surf, the constant roar of a whitewater river, or even the arrhythmic patter of rainfall on a roof.  Then there's the sight of water: foamy, white highlights on a blustery day, tranquil hues of blue, coffee rivers, black ponds.  Ripples, waves, riffles, the motion of water, its (usually) fresh odor, and the variety of life it attracts; bodies of water supply a nearly inexhaustible supply of beauty and fascination.
My daughter at the Gulf of Mexico, Florida
     Water is not only necessary to sustain life, but is used in healing rituals around the world and has been since probably religion started.  Think of baptism and its symbolic prototypes: Noah and his ark, the Israelites crossing the muddy floor of a split Red Sea, Naaman the Syrian general commanded to bathe seven times in the Jordan River in order to be healed of leprosy.
Little Traverse Bay, Petoskey, Michigan







See, I can't stay out of it.  Great Smoky Mountains National Park






    Ice, snow, hail, rain—water in its myriad forms draws our fear, anger, curiosity, and joy.  I feel the pull of water every time I am near some natural body of it—swimming pools have never had the same effect on me.  Perhaps it is the pool’s sterility or the chlorinated smell—I am compelled if not to jump in and swim in a lake, pond, or stream, then at least to put my hands or sandaled feet in it.  In summer’s heat especially, the liquid magnetism draws me ever near—even with a threat of leeches or creeping, clawing crayfish, lurking pike with needle-like teeth, or hiding-in-the-muck snapping turtles.


Swimming in the Midnight Hole, Big Creek, GSMNP
      Prior to my teenaged years, my family spent two glorious weeks at my maternal Grandparent’s place on Manitoulin Island.  Most days I was found swimming in Honora Bay shortly after breakfast, down by the “government dock.”  I came out for a lunch break, again for dinner, and then came out for good for the day at dusk.  I’ve never developed immunity to that particular siren’s call.  I’ve swum in all the Great Lakes, but for Ontario (I’ve even been swimming in the middle of that junior Great Lake: St. Clair).  Ponds and rivers all over both peninsulas of Michigan have refreshed me.  The Atlantic Ocean has enveloped me as well, though sometimes it was just over my feet or knees.  From Nova Scotia and Maine, New Hampshire’s tiny slice of beach front property, Cape Cod, Virginia, including the brackish James River, down to both coasts of Florida.

First time in Lake Superior!
    My children have picked up this compulsion (it obviously didn’t originate with me) even going so far as to take their first swim in Lake Superior last month.  The only kind of disappointment that I enjoy hearing from my children is when they don’t want to get out of the water when it has become time to depart.  I pray my grandchildren will be the same way.
Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore

Exploring a shipwreck at PRNL
Pictured Rocks NL


                 So why does water pull me so?  Who needs to think about it?  Come on, the water looks good.  I bet I can go under before you can.

Comments

LifeLessons said…
I too am a fellow Michigander. It is by far the most underrated state. I hope to keep following you and look forward to your next post. I'm new at this whole blog thing, but I'm excited to be a part of it now. :) check mine out? Follow? Comment? http://impressions-outlook.blogspot.com/ I'm just new :)

Popular posts from this blog

Another Publishing Triumph 3.23

 This is the third time I've been published in Jesus the Imagination . It is, however, the first time a poem of mine has been published with this journal. I haven't finished reading my copy, but so far there have been some excellent essays. Get yourself a copy today!

Another Publishing Triumph!

So, the first of four poems has dropped. Point your critical browser to this URL for lots of good stuff at Ekstasis :  https://www.ekstasismagazine.com/poetry/2023/bird-is-the-word Constructive criticism welcome!

What I Read: 2023 Edition

  I know I failed to post this last year for what I read in 2022. So, here is what I read this past year. As always, these are listed in the order of reading and not any kind of ranking. The Shadow Lamp * Stephen R. Lawhead Book four in the Bright Empires series, continues with many of the same characters and a few new ones. The mystery of the Skin Map underscore a threat to the entire universe. The story is a bit pulpy and not Lawhead’s best (I’m speaking of the series as a whole), but still an enjoyable read for fans of Sci-fi and to a lesser extent, fantasy. Nature’s Best Hope: A New Approach to Conservation that Starts in your Yard * Douglas W. Tallamy This continues his ideas expressed in Bringing Nature Home . Essentially, if you want to “save the planet” (a phrase full of hubris) start with your yard and your neighborhood. If you’ve read about this stuff before, you won’t find any new insights, but it bears repeating. This is as good as any place to start for backyard ecology.