Skip to main content

My Advent Wish

Less than 24 hours remain in Advent 2014, and while the season hasn't been particularly hard, life itself has been.  Reflecting back, I think my life has been in a semi-tailspin since late January 2012, from which I've only partially recovered.
Without revealing too much, I've been struggling to overcome a habitual sin that has plagued me for far too long; my economic contribution to my family has been negligible, and I've been ambivalent about joining the Roman rite of the Catholic Church since Spring 2012.
What I (think) need is a priest who can find that balance in the confessional between saying, "Quit Fu@&ing around" and "Jesus loves you more than you can imagine, keep following Him, do not, under any circumstances, take your eyes from Him."


Does anyone in SE Michigan know of such a priest?
Here's hoping your Advent has been fruitful.

Comments

Rachel said…
Scot, I'm sorry you're having such a tough time. Confession is still weird for me. It's one of those sacraments that I love and hate at the same time. Actually, I hate it ahead of time, and love it afterwards. :) Here's a post by Fr. Stephen Freemen (OCA, sorry) that I found helpful: http://blogs.ancientfaith.com/glory2godforallthings/2014/12/05/youre-not-better/

As for finding a priest for confession, you might want to try a priest at one of the Byzantine Right churches--he might be able to draw from a well of spiritual praxis that a priest from a more western background might not automatically think of.

You are right, Jesus does love you more than you can imagine. When I'm particularly unsettled, I find the Jesus Prayer to be peace-giving.

I'll be praying for you.
Scot said…
Thanks, Rachel. I don't think anybody *loves* confession singularly. It's always afterward that we are glad we went.

Popular posts from this blog

Another Publishing Triumph 3.23

 This is the third time I've been published in Jesus the Imagination . It is, however, the first time a poem of mine has been published with this journal. I haven't finished reading my copy, but so far there have been some excellent essays. Get yourself a copy today!

Another Publishing Triumph!

So, the first of four poems has dropped. Point your critical browser to this URL for lots of good stuff at Ekstasis :  https://www.ekstasismagazine.com/poetry/2023/bird-is-the-word Constructive criticism welcome!

What I Read: 2023 Edition

  I know I failed to post this last year for what I read in 2022. So, here is what I read this past year. As always, these are listed in the order of reading and not any kind of ranking. The Shadow Lamp * Stephen R. Lawhead Book four in the Bright Empires series, continues with many of the same characters and a few new ones. The mystery of the Skin Map underscore a threat to the entire universe. The story is a bit pulpy and not Lawhead’s best (I’m speaking of the series as a whole), but still an enjoyable read for fans of Sci-fi and to a lesser extent, fantasy. Nature’s Best Hope: A New Approach to Conservation that Starts in your Yard * Douglas W. Tallamy This continues his ideas expressed in Bringing Nature Home . Essentially, if you want to “save the planet” (a phrase full of hubris) start with your yard and your neighborhood. If you’ve read about this stuff before, you won’t find any new insights, but it bears repeating. This is as good as any place to start for backyard ecology.