Skip to main content

Ah, Quasi-Wilderness








Well, we made it through our second camping trip of the season. We stayed at Arbutus Lake State Forest Campground, which is about 15 minutes south of Traverse City. We had the beach almost exclusively to ourselves during the five days we were there.
A blue heron or two hung out to the northeast of this beach and at least one loon made its home somewhere on this particular lake.
While there we visited Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. Surprisingly, this has been one of the few attractions in Michigan that I have failed to visit. We didn't spend as much time as I would have liked there so we'll have to go again. This picture is from a .6 mile hike to Pyramid Point, the northernmost part of the park. You have a great view of South Manitou Island from the bluff up there. That's about a two hundred foot slope below my feet there.

We also hit the Leelanau Peninsula, Traverse City, and Point Betsie Lighthouse on the way home. (Does anyone know how to layout photos so they aren't all clustered at the top?)
One other good note: my family members all survived their first state forest camping experience--no showers, no flush toilets.
I have to reflect on the "feeling" that I have everytime I'm "Up North." For most people in Southeast Michigan "Up North" can be the tip of the thumb, or more generally draw a line from Saginaw Bay westward and if you pass north of that line you are considered to be "Up North." Though for some of my past students Rochester and Flint would be considered "Up North." Anyway, the feeling I experience is one of home. Perhaps this has to do with spending two weeks every summer until I was fourteen on Manitoulin Island with my maternal grandparents. Perhaps it has to do with the lack of electronic distractions. Maybe something about being in the church "not made with hands." Whatever it is, that feeling is not present here in Dedford. It only confirms my desire to find a larger plot of land than I currently own and cultivate it. My wife feels the same way. Some are city folk, some suburban folk, and we'll, we think we're not quite country folk, but don't feel comfortable in the other two categories. And yes, I HAVE lived in a city proper--the Cass Corridor section of Detroit when I was attending Wayne State University. And while I want the city to succeed and become something of what it used to be (in all the positive meanings of that--no more new brownfields, please) I don't wish to live in the midst of that renewal.
The suburbs. . . I'll just avoid a rant about them right now.
No, I don't need to live "Up North" to feel home, but I do need a place where my children have to take more than one breath to get to the boundaries of our property. That isn't for everyone, I know, but I think it is for us.

(Photo key: from top down--Leelanau State Park (first two photos); Pyramid Point, Sleeping Bear Dunes Nat'l Lakeshore; Arbutus Lake #4 beach)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Hands Can Save You from Hell

"Eternal life will be a shared experience of awe, in which each creature, resplendently transfigured, will take its rightful place." --Pope Francis, Laudato Si
     Wonder and awe abound in the natural world for those with eyes to see and ears to hear.

     Perhaps we are caught short by a vibrant purple emanating from the petals of a wild lupine. We might stare wide-eyed at the lazy circles of a turkey vulture soaring on thermal air currents. Even the most agoraphobic city-dweller can find something beautiful about a landscape even if it's simply the warm and varied red, yellow, and orange of a sunset glowing on a building.

     "The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof" asserts the Psalmist. If that verse is true, why don't we live like it? Why are we flabbergasted trying to come up with the names of the many plants and animals we pass by everyday?

     All people respond to beauty in some way or another--even those who have willingly or unwi…

Worth Quoting

"...[K]eep in mind that a human being is not made for the processing of data, but for wisdom; not for the utilitarian satisfaction of appetite, but for love; not for the domination of nature, but for participation in it; not for the autonomy of an isolated self, but for communion." --Anthony Esolen,  Foreword to Beauty in the Word by Stratford Caldecott.


PESD? Post-Election Stress Disorder

As I write this, the presidential election is still undecided. Which is fine. The Republicans have campaigned for 17 months now...there ought to be a law against that!
When I wake up tomorrow morning, we will have a new President-elect, and frankly I don't care who it is because both the major party candidates nauseated me.
I voted for a small third-party that I was actually excited about, that I believe(d) in, and may try to get involved at the local level at some point. That was important to me--voting for something, rather than against.

If tomorrow morning you wake up in agony at the thought of our new president, ignore it. Better yet, put that energy into your community. Fill blessing bags for the homeless to carry in your car. Go to a parks commission meeting. Tutor a struggling student. Learn the names of the trees in your neighborhood. Know your watershed. Help a neighbor rake leaves. Learn your neighbor's names! Join a civic group. Buy some coffee for the teachers in …