Skip to main content

Thing 12

Review the widget you selected. Are you getting comfortable with embedding code? Do you belong to other online communities? Are relationships formed online as meaningful as face-to-face relationships? Why do you think MySpace and other social networking sites are so popular with kids today?

I posted a Michigan flag near the bottom of my landing page. I don't know if I'll keep it--it's a bit clunky and doesn't fit with the design of my page very well (neither does my counter). Additionally, it's made me a whore for Google as you can click to open Google ads on a tab.

This exercise seemed like busy-work to me. How does adding a widget add to my page besides more clutter? Maybe there is something more to my liking available, but as much as I adore The Simpsons, I don't think a "Simpsons quiz" widget will make my blog any better than it is.

I realize I'm pretty critical about this 23 Things project--but I think that's a good thing--most of the other people seem to think most things are "Great" and "Cool." I am learning things, however, even if it most of it seems to be negative.

Do I belong to other online communities? Define "belong." Do I participate in reading and posting? Yes. Do I know the other posters? No, not in any meaningful way. Online communities are helpful in pruning the sugar from your arguments, but they aren't a replacement for "real" people.

MySpace and others of its ilk are probably popular because they extend the digital reach of our youngsters. Too many would rather stay inside than explore their yard or neighborhood because they can chat, text, and post inane and vulgar videos. Why engage in the messy and hard work of building real relationships when you can simply delete someone you don't like from your friends list? Convenience is King!

Comments

RESA 23Things said…
You're right - many (if not, most) of the widgets are pretty frivolous and useless. But you might some day want to use something like a survey that could be very useful.

Popular posts from this blog

Another Publishing Triumph 3.23

 This is the third time I've been published in Jesus the Imagination . It is, however, the first time a poem of mine has been published with this journal. I haven't finished reading my copy, but so far there have been some excellent essays. Get yourself a copy today!

Another Publishing Triumph!

So, the first of four poems has dropped. Point your critical browser to this URL for lots of good stuff at Ekstasis :  https://www.ekstasismagazine.com/poetry/2023/bird-is-the-word Constructive criticism welcome!

What I Read: 2023 Edition

  I know I failed to post this last year for what I read in 2022. So, here is what I read this past year. As always, these are listed in the order of reading and not any kind of ranking. The Shadow Lamp * Stephen R. Lawhead Book four in the Bright Empires series, continues with many of the same characters and a few new ones. The mystery of the Skin Map underscore a threat to the entire universe. The story is a bit pulpy and not Lawhead’s best (I’m speaking of the series as a whole), but still an enjoyable read for fans of Sci-fi and to a lesser extent, fantasy. Nature’s Best Hope: A New Approach to Conservation that Starts in your Yard * Douglas W. Tallamy This continues his ideas expressed in Bringing Nature Home . Essentially, if you want to “save the planet” (a phrase full of hubris) start with your yard and your neighborhood. If you’ve read about this stuff before, you won’t find any new insights, but it bears repeating. This is as good as any place to start for backyard ecology.